5 Universal Practices to Implement Regenerative Agriculture
- Water: Frost free winter water capabilities in every pasture
- Density & Duration: livestock should not be allowed to graze longer than 14 days in any 1 paddock (in the arid west, less time duration as precip increases)
- This means that there should be at least 26 paddocks for every ranch operation
- Rest & Recovery: No paddock should be grazed twice within 9 months (in the arid west, this can be increased for areas of higher precip)
- Multi Species, grazers vs browsers. It is imperative to have both ruminating graziers who desire and select plant species specific to their nutrient and energy requirement in having 4 stomachs to chew cud while also having browsers whose pallet and evolutionary biology can withstand those other plant species that are toxic or non-palatable to graziers.
- Minimize inputs, "the cow is the how:" rather than spraying for weeds, graze through the problem. Rather than introducing fertilizer, supplement the cow at a higher rate of minerals and feed. Minimizing inputs is about using the natural resources to enhance the natural resources.
Continue to read the next part in the 5x5x5 series by clicking the link to either learn about implementing or monitoring metrics for these practices.